The discovery, biodiversity and conservation of Mabu forest – the largest medium-altitude rainforest in southern Africa
The montane inselbergs of northern Mozambique have been comparatively little-studied, yet recent surveys have shown they have a rich biodiversity with numerous endemic species. Here we present the main findings from a series of scientific expeditions to one of these inselbergs, Mt Mabu, and discuss the conservation implications. Comprehensive species lists of plants, birds, mammals and butterflies are presented. The most significant result was the discovery of a c. 7,880 ha block of undisturbed rainforest, most of it at medium altitude (900–1,400 m), a forest type that is not well represented elsewhere.
- Nenhuma restrição
- Biodiversidade Florestal;
- Biodiversidade de montanha
- Artigo com revisão pelos pares e teses universitárias
- Identificação, Monitoria, Indicadores e Avaliações
- Áreas de Conservação Internacionais